8 tips to make #WalktoSchool Week fun and healthy
As #WalktoSchool Week kicks off, we’ve taken a look at all the benefits of getting those little legs walking, rather than jumping in the car to be chauffeured. Why not take part and join over a million pupils and their families to celebrate walking to school?
Research has shown that the benefits to children are profound – challenge everyone in your school to walk every day during Walk to School Week and make a real difference to your children's happiness and wellbeing. Here are 8 tips to get you inspired.
Often it doesn’t feel like we are exercising when we walk to school. It just feels like getting from A to B, but the benefits really add up:
- As well as being good for our hearts, lungs, muscles and bones, walking can also have a positive effect on our mood. Research has shown this.
- Children that walk to school arrive more alert and ready to start the day.
- The whole family can get fit – parents too!
- We can enjoy the time together and chat about the day ahead.
- Walking to school develops a healthy habit which lasts all your life.
- Don’t forget that walking has the added benefit of easing congestion around the school gates, making it a safer place for everyone – especially pedestrians.
- These Mumsnet tips on road safety will help everyone to take care while walking to school.
- When time is less precious, perhaps you could occasionally take a scenic route to school? Check out your environment as you are walking to school. Take inspiration from our Rant & Rave, My Wild Life journal to get your children interested in nature along their school walk.
- Sign up for #WalktoSchool Week
- Make room for nature this June with The Wildlife Trusts’ #30DaysWild challenge. When you sign up to the challenge, you will receive a pack full of ideas, encouragement and Random Acts of Wildness. You’ll also receive a funky wallchart to track your progress, a wild badge, and regular blasts of inspiration throughout June to help you make nature part of your life.
Order Rant & Rave, My Wild Life now. A fun journal packed with fun activities and prompts to help children log their passion for nature and the outdoors. Award-winner at the Gentle Parenting Awards 2016! Order yours now with free UK delivery if you use the voucher code ‘OUTDOORS’. Expires at midnight on 31st May and is subject to availability. Enjoy your wild life!
National Institute of Clinical Excellence: Walking can boost wellbeing
Citilab: Kids who walk to school concentrate better
Living Streets: Walk to School Week
Wildlife Trusts: 30 Days Wild
Mumsnet: Tips for teaching road safety
Journals of a Lifetime: Rant & Rave, My Wild Life